Therapeutic massages enhance the body’s natural restorative functioning by incorporating a variety of advanced modalities. When correctly applied and practiced by a professional, it is a powerful method of treating and preventing pain. Therapeutic massage contributes to a total state of well-being in a non-invasive and safe way.
Massage therapists use a light to firm touch to relax muscles, release tension, and increase blood and lymph circulation. Massage therapists may incorporate deep tissue massage, myofascial release, trigger point work, and various movement therapies and passive and resistive stretching techniques. You may experience increased tenderness as the therapist works through the tissue.
Therapeutic massage may aid in healing and alleviating pain and stress. It can be used as a supportive addition to conventional medical treatment of illness or injury.
Therapeutic massage may improve the following conditions:
- Stress, depression, and anxiety. Releases endorphins that help to elevate mood and promote relaxation by relieving associated muscular tension. Provides relief for cancer patients undergoing cancer treatments and reduces symptoms of anxiety, depression, and stress disorders.
- Pain control. Helps patients with headaches, fibromyalgia, arthritis, sciatica, childbirth
- Post-operative care. Reduces recovery period, speeds up the elimination of anesthetic, and reduces pain and stiffness from bed rest.
- Digestive issues. Adjunctive therapy (add-on therapy) that treats digestive issues and chronic constipation.
- Chronic lung disease. Increases respiratory function and decreases anxiety.
- Injuries. Eases overuse and repetitive strain injuries, workplace and athletic trauma, and whiplash.
- Athletic Participation. Reduces the risk of serious injury and enhances performance by speeding up healing.
Therapeutic massage can enhance your health, provide relaxation, release muscle tightness from anxiety and tension, improve sleep, increase circulation, lower blood pressure, and revitalize the body. The therapist may use soft lighting and play soft music to promote relaxation.
Basic therapeutic massage techniques are derived from a variety of massage styles. The massage therapist will tailor the massage according to your specific needs.
For more information about therapeutic massage at New Horizon Hospital in Houston, Texas, call (281) 397-1530.